"When one defines oneself as Pagan, it means she or he follows an Earth or Nature religion, one that sees the divine manifest in all creation. The cycles of Nature are our holy days, the Earth is out temple, its plants and creatures our partners and teachers. We worship a deity that is both male and female, a mother Goddess and father God, who together created all that is, was, or will be. We respect life, cherish the free will of sentient beings, and accept the sacredness of all creation." ~Edain McCoy


Please visit the original blog for previous posts. Blessed Be

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Samhain Time

As I mentioned before, October is time for Samhain. It is also my favorite month and my birthday (but that is not the reason it is my favorite month)


October is full of Fall and that is my favorite.


I love the colors, the smells, the cool nights, the falling leaves, I could go on and on. 



As a Wiccan, October is also the time of Samhain, the Wiccan New Year.


Samhain is a time when the veil between the worlds in thin, a perfect time to commune with spirits of pasted loved ones or other spirits. It is a time when spirits of life and death are celebrates side by side.


Its a time of reflection, diviniation, time of the dead and of celebration.


Herbs: Pumpkins, apple, nuts, thistle, broom, oak leaves, sage

Incense: Apple, nutmeg, sage, mint

Colors: Black and Orange

Decorations: Jack-o-lanterns, brooms, photos of deceased loved one, apples, squash, fall leaves, autumn flowers

Foods: Apples, nnuts, cider, mulled wine, pumpkin dishes, cranberry muffins, herbal tea


A Ritual to try during this time;

"Set yourself Free"

needed:
ball of red yarn
athame
cauldron
matches

Cast Circle (if your tradition calls for it)

Cut 9" pieces of red yarn, one for each thing to set free (past hurt, burden, regret, habit, etc)

Knot each into a circle, name each circle (the thing you are setting free)

Put each around your left wrist (right if you are left handed) Tell each specifically:

"_______, I have carried you long and far. Your burden has been my teacher, and I accept your lessons. Now I summon the strength to release you, for your presence serves me no longer."

Take your atheme and begin cutting through the circlets (with a dull blade, this can be no easy task, take your time, cut away your symbolic bonds, imagine seperating yourself from your actual bonds.)

When your bonds are cut, Burn them in your cauldron, say

"I send you back from hence you came
to be consumed by the transformation flame.
You are purified and forever changed
Pure and simple you'll remain
You are no longer bound to me!
I send you back, and away you will go,
that something new and blessed in me shall grow."

Close circle (if casted)

When the ashes cool, gather them in a small pot, take them outside. Stand with the wind at your back and Blow the ashes into the air, let them dissipate and vanish. Prepare to make a new start.

This is not a traditional Samhain rite, but it is a good ritual to start the new year with.

Blessed Be

Grayce

No comments: