"When one defines oneself as Pagan, it means she or he follows an Earth or Nature religion, one that sees the divine manifest in all creation. The cycles of Nature are our holy days, the Earth is out temple, its plants and creatures our partners and teachers. We worship a deity that is both male and female, a mother Goddess and father God, who together created all that is, was, or will be. We respect life, cherish the free will of sentient beings, and accept the sacredness of all creation." ~Edain McCoy


Please visit the original blog for previous posts. Blessed Be

Thursday, October 13, 2011

frustration

Well I must take a moment and comment on a little thing called intolerance. I live in Utah, where we are surrounded by people who are unwilling to accept others that are different than themselves. Now I know that there are many people and religions that are just like this but I never thought that there would be these kinds of people in the very tolerant and accepting path, called Wicca. Well I was sorely reminded that there are all types of people everywhere. Even in places you'd like to believe they weren't

I was in a discussion board when I read someones comments about how Solitary Wicca is not in fact Wicca. She says she is a Traditional Wiccan, initiated and a high priestess. That if one is not iniciated and learn from another person, you are not truely wiccan but instead just a Pagan.

Well, I disagree. Wicca is a very peaceful, harmonious and balanced way of life which promotes oneness with the divine and all which exists.

"Witchcraft in ancient history was known as "The Craft of the Wise" because most who followed the path were in tune with the forces of nature, had a knowledge of Herbs and medicines, gave council and were valuable parts of the village and community as Shamanic healers and leaders. They understood that mankind is not superior to nature, the earth and its creatures but instead we are simply one of the many parts, both seen and unseen that combine to make the whole. As Chief Seattle said; "We do not own the earth, we are part of it." These wise people understood that what we take or use, we must return in kind to maintain balance and equilibrium."

"Wiccan believe that the spirit of the One, Goddess and God exist in all things. In the trees, rain, flowers, the sea, in each other and all of natures creatures. This means that we must treat "all things" of the Earth as aspects of the divine. We attempt to honor and respect life in all its many manifestations both seen and unseen.

Wiccan learn from and revere the gift of nature from divine creation by celebrating the cycles of the sun, moon and seasons. We search within ourselves for the cycles that correspond to those of the natural world and try to live in harmony with the movement of this universal energy. Our teachers are the trees, rivers, lakes, meadows, mountains and animals as well as others who have walked this path before us. This belief creates a reverence and respect for the environment, and all life upon the Earth.

We also revere the spirits of the elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water which combine to manifest all creation. From these four elements we obtain insight to the rhythms of nature and understand they are also the rhythms of our own lives."

And I could not agree more with: "Because Witches have been persecuted for so many centuries, we believe in religious freedom first! We do not look at our path as the only way to achieve spirituality, but as one path among many to the same end. We are not a missionary religion out to convert new members to think the same as we do. We are willing to share our experience and knowledge with those who seek our wisdom and perspective however. We believe that anyone who is meant for this path will find it through their own search as the Goddess speaks to each of us in her time and way. Wiccan practice tolerance and acceptance toward all other religions as long as those faiths do not persecute others or violate the tenant of "Harm None."
Thanks Herne at The Celtic Connection.

All you have to do is type "what is wicca" into a google search and you will find MANY different website and books saying the same thing.

If you want to know what was said on this discussion board, visit it here and continued here.

I'm sorry if I am rambling, but I am just disappointed from the inability of some people to accept others just as they are.

Like I said in the post; "may your path be bright and may you find peace within your heart."

Blessed Be

Grayce

3 comments:

bj said...

Well, dear one, I have lived on this earth a loooong time and have never even heard the word 'wicca'. I did as you mentioned, did a google search and I found many websites connected with wicca. I didn't read all thru them...too tired...but 2 things stood out to me..WITCHCRAFT and HORNED GOD. Since I know nothing about your beliefs, these two words do scare me. I am very interested to learn more and will continue to do research. I am a Christian and worship one God but that doesn't keep me from wanting to learn about other religions. :)
Happy Halloween...
xo bj

Plumrose Lane said...

It's so true Grayce and I've found that no matter what people 'believe' they're still themselves. One of the great parts about Wicca is the belief in what goes around comes around and so we can only assume that people like this will face their own judgments in due time. I find that if I try to keep my heart & mind focused on the good & positive aspects of my life that they supersede the negative and eventually wash it away.

And for your lovely visitor who commented above there is a wonderful book titled: The Path of a Christan Witch, available through Amazon that offers some very informative reading.

♥Sharon

Grayce said...

Thank you Sharon for kind words and you are right, I make the choice of whether or not to be filled with love or hate. And I choose Love.

bj, your question required alot more space than allowed in the comment section, so I have dedicated a post to it. Please visit http://graycefuldawn.blogspot.com/2011/10/what-is-wicca-to-me.html. Thank you again for being open.
Blessed Be
Grayce